May 23, 2017 COUNTY COUNCIL MEETING HILITE SUMMARY
By Dan Warkentin
D1. Some concern was expressed by local contractors that rates paid by the county are too
low. County pays 75% of Industry guide. Motion to keep rates same as 2016 passed.
D2. Council passed motion to take over a 400 meter section of Industry resource road.
Council will also review the policy regarding this type of road issue.
D3. Report from Withrow Waste water delegation accepted as information. An interesting
example of the long term effect of small lot subdivisions.
D4. Womens shelter delegation reported that they will be conducting a “Homelessness”
survey on Sept 13 and 14th.
E1. Council passed a motion to reimburse the $300 application fee, for PRIVATE use
communication towers (less than 50ft).
G1. Recommendation passed. We are not too bad off, sounds like Ponoka and Stettler have
Hundreds of thousands that can’t be collected!
G2. Council passed a motion to approve an additional $100,000 for new financial software
as recommended. The software total is $168,000. $70,000 had already been budgeted.
G3. Recommendation passed ALL THREE readings! Looks like administration now has a blank
check for $5 million.
H3. Telus Delegation by Teresa.
- regarding cell coverage, 4 towers now in service with another one under construction.
- the fiber backbone “ring” is not yet complete. Currently one leg is from Red Deer to
Rocky, and the one from Calg only goes to Caroline, there is no fiber now from Caroline
to Rocky. Completing this would bring Cell coverage to the Caroline area.
- she indicated the “Smart Hub” should work great if you can get Two bars on your cell
phone. They have wireless Hi speed plans of 50Gb for $60/mth.
- no immediate plans to develop further west
* it would appear they may be asking for $$ to help complete the fiber from Caroline to
Rocky in the “In camera” session?
Note: D1 - H3 are references to agenda items